Half of All Children Will Be Autistic by 2025, Warns Senior Research Scientist at MIT (Video)
Categories: Health & Nutrition
Stephanie Seneff is a Senior Research Scientist at the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. She received the B.S. degree in Biophysics in 1968, the M.S. and E.E. degrees in Electrical Engineering in 1980, and the Ph.D degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in 1985, all from MIT. For over three decades, her research interests have always been at the intersection of biology and computation: developing a computational model for the human auditory system, understanding human language so as to develop algorithms and systems for human computer interactions, as well as applying natural language processing (NLP) techniques to gene predictions. She has published over 170 refereed articles on these subjects, and has been invited to give keynote speeches at several international conferences. She has also supervised numerous Master's and PhD theses at MIT. In 2012, Dr. Seneff was elected Fellow of the International Speech and Communication Association (ISCA).
In recent years, Dr. Seneff has focused her research interests back towards biology. She is concentrating mainly on the relationship between nutrition and health. Since 2011, she has published over two dozen papers in various medical and health-related journals on topics such as modern day diseases (e.g., Alzheimer, autism, cardiovascular diseases), analysis and search of databases of drug side effects using NLP techniques, and the impact of nutritional deficiencies and environmental toxins on human health.
Why? Evidence points to glyphosate toxicity from the overuse of Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide on our food.
For over three decades, Stephanie Seneff, PhD, has researched biology and technology, over the years publishing over 170 scholarly peer-reviewed articles. In recent years she has concentrated on the relationship between nutrition and health, tackling such topics as Alzheimer’s, autism, and cardiovascular diseases, as well as the impact of nutritional deficiencies and environmental toxins on human health.
At a [recent] conference, in a special panel discussion about GMOs, she took the audience by surprise when she declared, “At today’s rate, by 2025, one in two children will be autistic.” She noted that the side effects of autism closely mimic those of glyphosate toxicity, and presented data showing a remarkably consistent correlation between the use of Roundup on crops (and the creation of Roundup-ready GMO crop seeds) with rising rates of autism. Children with autism have biomarkers indicative of excessive glyphosate, including zinc and iron deficiency, low serum sulfate, seizures, and mitochondrial disorder.
A fellow panelist reported that after Dr. Seneff’s presentation, “All of the 70 or so people in attendance were squirming, likely because they now had serious misgivings about serving their kids, or themselves, anything with corn or soy, which are nearly all genetically modified and thus tainted with Roundup and its glyphosate.”
Dr. Seneff noted the ubiquity of glyphosate’s use. Because it is used on corn and soy, all soft drinks and candies sweetened with corn syrup and all chips and cereals that contain soy fillers have small amounts of glyphosate in them, as do our beef and poultry since cattle and chicken are fed GMO corn or soy. Wheat is often sprayed with Roundup just prior to being harvested, which means that all non-organic bread and wheat products would also be sources of glyphosate toxicity. The amount of glyphosate in each product may not be large, but the cumulative effect (especially with as much processed food as Americans eat) could be devastating. A recent study shows that pregnant women living near farms where pesticides are applied have a 60% increased risk of children having an autism spectrum disorder.
Other toxic substances may also be autism-inducing. You may recall our story on the CDC whistleblowerwho revealed the government’s deliberate concealment of the link between the MMR vaccine (for measles, mumps, and rubella) and a sharply increased risk of autism, particularly in African American boys. Other studies now show a link between children’s exposure to pesticides and autism. Children who live in homes with vinyl floors, which can emit phthalate chemicals, are more likely to have autism. Children whose mothers smoked were also twice as likely to have autism. Research now acknowledges that environmental contaminants such as PCBs, PBDEs, and mercury can alter brain neuron functioning even before a child is born.
This month, the USDA released a study finding that although there were detectable levels of pesticide residue in more than half of food tested by the agency, 99% of samples taken were found to be within levels the government deems safe, and 40% were found to have no detectable trace of pesticides at all. The USDA added, however, that due to “cost concerns,” it did not test for residues of glyphosate. Let’s repeat that: they never tested for the active ingredient in the most widely used herbicide in the world. “Cost concerns”? How absurd—unless they mean it will cost them too much in terms of the special relationship between the USDA and Monsanto. You may recall the revolving door between Monsanto and the federal government, with agency officials becoming high-paying executives—and vice versa! Money, power, prestige: it’s all there. Monsanto and the USDA love to scratch each others’ backs. Clearly this omission was purposeful.
In addition, as we have previously reported, the number of adverse reactions from vaccines can be correlated as well with autism, though Seneff says it doesn’t correlate quite as closely as with Roundup. The same correlations between applications of glyphosate and autism show up in deaths from senility.
Of course, autism is a complex problem with many potential causes. Dr. Seneff’s data, however, is particularly important considering how close the correlation is—and because it is coming from a scientist with impeccable credentials. Earlier this year, she spoke at the Autism One conference and presented many of the same facts; that presentation is available on YouTube.
Monsanto claims that Roundup is harmless to humans. Bacteria, fungi, algae, parasites, and plants use a seven-step metabolic route known as the shikimate pathway for the biosynthesis of aromatic amino acids; glyphosate inhibits this pathway, causing the plant to die, which is why it’s so effective as an herbicide. Monsanto says humans don’t have this shikimate pathway, so it’s perfectly safe.
Dr. Seneff points out, however, that our gut bacteria do have this pathway, and that’s crucial because these bacteria supply our body with crucial amino acids. Roundup thus kills beneficial gut bacteria, allowing pathogens to grow; interferes with the synthesis of amino acids including methionine, which leads to shortages in critical neurotransmitters and folate; chelates (removes) important minerals like iron, cobalt and manganese; and much more.
Even worse, she notes, additional chemicals in Roundup are untested because they’re classified as“inert,” yet according to a 2014 study in BioMed Research International, these chemicals are capable of amplifying the toxic effects of Roundup hundreds of times over.
Glyphosate is present in unusually high quantities in the breast milk of American mothers, at anywhere from 760 to 1,600 times the allowable limits in European drinking water. Urine testing shows Americans have ten times the glyphosate accumulation as Europeans.
“In my view, the situation is almost beyond repair,” Dr. Seneff said after her presentation. “We need to do something drastic.”
Read the Full Article Here.
Contact InformationStephanie Seneff
Rm G-438 MIT Stata Center
32 Vassar Street
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA
Information on Glyphosate (Roundup)
- U.S. Congressional Hearing on Glyphosate, June 14, 2016. (Download Presentations from this link.)
- Presentation at the University of Belize on April 6, 2017. (Download)
- Glyphosate, Roundup, Glyphosate-Tolerance GM Soybeans, Chemical Extracted Soybean Food Oil/Soybean Powder Cause Serious Harm to Health of American/Chinese People. Compiled and translated by I-wan, Chen (firstname.lastname@example.org). (Download)
- Glyphosate and Autism Slides presented at the Peoples' Assembly meeting in The Hague, Netherlands, October 14, 2016. (Powerpoint Slides)
- Is Roundup the Primary Cause of the Current Epidemic in Chronic Diseases? Slides for presentation hosted by Talk About Curing Autism (TACA), Massachusetts Chapter, Oct 1, 2016. (Powerpoint Slides)
- Connecting the Dots: Autism, MMR Vaccine and Roundup Honolulu, HI, February 22, 2017. Sponsored by Seeds of Truth and Kokua Market.(Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Roundup, MMR and autism -- A Toxic Connection. Honolulu, HI, August 4, 2016. Sponsored in part by Seeds of Truth and Kokua Market. (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- "GMOs & glyphosate -- real threats to human & environmental health." Presented at event at University of Toronto, April 28, 2016, sponsored by Science For Peace. (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Presentation on glyphosate at Environmental Health Symposium in San Diego in March, 2016. (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Glyphosate: The "Safe" Herbicide that's Making Us All Sick. July, 2015. Hawaii tour, sponsored in part by Seeds of Truth. (Video of Presentation)(Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Roundup and GMO and the Rise of Modern Disease. Jan. 22, 2015. Talk in Honolulu, HI, sponsored by Seeds of Truth. (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Roundup and GMOs: Are We Gambling with the Future of Food? July 29, 2014, Talk presented at the National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan(Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Presentation at an Informational Hearing on Genetically Modified Organisms for the Agricultural and Rural Affairs Committee of the Pennsylvania legislature. (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Is Roundup the Toxic Chemical that's Making Us All Sick? June 5, 2014, Groton School, Campbell Performing Arts Center, Groton MA. (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- "Sulfate Deficiency in Neurological Disease Following Aluminum and Glyphosate Exposure," Webinar presented on June 2, 2015, hosted by Jessica Sherman. (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Presentation on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 in Taiwan, organized by the Green Formosa Front and sponsored by the HaoRan Foundation. (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Presentation on glyphosate on April 28, 2014 hosted by the MIT and Wellesley Alumni Associations (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Presentation on March 26, 2014 at International Symposium on Vaccines in Nice, France: A Role for the Pineal Gland in Neurological Damage Following Aluminum-adjuvanted Vaccination (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Presentation on March 16, 2014 at Physicians' Roundtable Conference in Tampa, FL. (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
- Presentation on Oct 16, 2013 hosted by the Wellesley chapter of the League of Women Voters. Video. Slides.
- 326 page document by Sayer Ji - many references to the literature on why not to vaccinate. Click Here
- Nancy Swanson, Andre Leu, Jon Abrahamson and Bradley Wallet. Genetically engineered crops, glyphosate and the deterioration of health in the United States of America. Journal of Organic Systems, 9(2), 2014. Click Here
- Compilation (by Rosemary Mason MB ChB FRCA) of data worldwide on effects of glyphosate on human health. Click Here
- Former Monsanto employee put in charge of GMO papers at journal Click Here Scientific journal withdraws Seralini paper on Roundup toxicity Click Here
- Autism Rates and Glyphosate Application Rates to Corn and Soy in the U.S. as A Function of Time. Click Here
- Slides Presented to MIT Faculty at CSAIL Offsite Meeting on May 17, 2013, on autism and glyphosate. (Powerpoint Slides) (PDF Version)
Papers in Refereed Journals on Nutrition and Disease
Note: These papers collectively explain how sulfate deficiency throughout the body is behind most modern diseases and conditions, and how toxic chemicals in the environment cause this deficiency.
- S. Seneff and G. Nigh. (2017) "Glyphosate and Anencephaly: Death by A Thousand Cuts." J Neurol Neurobiol 3(2): doi http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/2379-7150.140. (Download)
- A. Samsel and S. Seneff. "Glyphosate pathways to modern diseases VI: Prions, amyloidoses and autoimmune neurological diseases." Journal of Biological Physics and Chemistry 2017; 17: 8-32. (Download)
- J.E. Beecham and S. Seneff. "Autoimmune Disease: Budget-buster or Enlightened Solutions? (The coming epidemic and the new administration in Washington)."Arch Community Med Pub Health 2017;3(1):32-40. (Download)
- S. Seneff, W. Morley, MJ Hadden and MC Michener. "Does glyphosate acting as a glycine analogue contribute to ALS?" J Bioinfo Proteomics Rev 2016; 2(3): 1-21. (Download) (Online)
- D. Kennedy, S. Seneff, RM Davidson, JW Oller, Jr, BE Haley and RD Masters. "Environmental Toxicants and Infant Mortality in the USA." Peertechz J Biol Res Dev 2016;1(1): 036-061. (Download)
- S. Seneff, N. L. Swanson, G. Koenig and C. Li. "Is GERD a Factor in Osteonecrosis of the Jaw? Evidence of Pathology Linked to G6PD Deficiency and Sulfomucins," Disease Markers Volume 2016 (2016), Article ID 8376979. (Download)
- A. Samsel and S Seneff. "Glyphosate pathways to modern diseases V: Amino acid analogue of glycine in diverse proteins," Journal of Biological Physics and Chemistry 2016;16: 9-46. (Download)
- Nancy Swanson, Judy Hoy and Stephanie Seneff. "Evidence that glyphosate is a causative agent in chronic sub-clinical metabolic acidosis and mitochondrial dysfunction" International Journal of Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine 2016;4:32-52. (Download)
- Beecham JE and Seneff S. "Is there a link between autism and glyphosate-formulated herbicides?" J Autism 2016; 3:1. (Download)
- Seneff S, Swanson N, Li C, Koenig G. "Death as a Drug Side Effect in FAERS: Is Glyphosate Contamination a Factor?" Agricultural Sciences 2015;6:1472-1501.Agricultural Sciences 2015;6:1472-1501. (Download)
- Anthony Samsel and Stephanie Seneff. "Glyphosate, pathways to modern diseases IV: cancer and related pathologies," The Journal of Biological Physics and Chemistry 2015; 15:121-159. (Download)
- James Beecham and Stephanie Seneff. "The Possible Link between Autism and Glyphosate Acting as Glycine Mimetic - A Review of Evidence from the Literature with Analysis." Molecular and Genetic Medicine 2015; 9:4. (Download)
- Gerald Koenig and Stephanie Seneff. "Gamma-Glutamyltransferase: A Predictive Biomarker of Cellular Antioxidant Inadequacy and Disease Risk." Disease Markers Volume 2015 (2015): Article ID 818570. (Download)
- Judy Hoy, Nancy Swanson and Stephanie Seneff. "The High Cost of Pesticides: Human and Animal Diseases." Poult Fish Wildl Sci 2015; 3:1. (Download)
- Stephanie Seneff, Robert M. Davidson, Ann Lauritzen, Anthony Samsel, and Glyn Wainwright. "A novel hypothesis for atherosclerosis as a cholesterol sulfate deficiency syndrome." Theor Biol Med Model. 2015; 12: 9. (Download)
- Anthony Samsel and Stephanie Seneff. "Glyphosate, pathways to modern diseases III: Manganese, neurological diseases, and associated pathologies." Surgical Neurology International 2015; 6:45. (Download)
- Stephanie Seneff, Nancy Swanson and Chen Li. "Aluminum and Glyphosate Can Synergistically Induce Pineal Gland Pathology: Connection to Gut Dysbiosis and Neurological Disease." Agricultural Sciences 2015; 6: 42-70. (Download)
- Wendy A Morley and Stephanie Seneff. "Diminished brain resilience syndrome: A modern day neurological pathology of increased susceptibility to mild brain trauma, concussion, and downstream neurodegeneration." Surg Neurol Int 18 Jun 2014;5:97. (Download)
- CA Shaw, S Seneff, SD Kette, L Tomljenovic, JW Oller Jr., and RM Davidson. "Aluminum-Induced Entropy in Biological Systems: Implications for Neurological Disease." Journal of Toxicology 2014: Article ID 491316. (Download)
- CA Shaw, SD Kette, RM Davidson, and S Seneff. "Aluminumâ€™s Role in CNS-immune System Interactions leading to Neurological Disorders." Immunome Research 2013; 9:069. doi: 10.4172/1745-7580.1000069. (Download)
- Anthony Samsel and Stephanie Seneff, " Glyphosate, pathways to modern diseases II: Celiac sprue and gluten intolerance." Interdiscip Toxicol. 2013; 6(4): 159-184. (Download)
- Anthony Samsel and Stephanie Seneff, "Glyphosate's Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases" Entropy 2013, 15(4), 1416-1463; doi:10.3390/e15041416 (Download)
- Robert M. Davidson, Ann Lauritzen and Stephanie Seneff, "Biological Water Dynamics and Entropy: A Biophysical Origin of Cancer and Other Diseases"Entropy 2013, 15, 3822-3876; doi:10.3390/ e15093822 (Download)
- Stephanie Seneff, Ann Lauritzen, Robert Davidson and Laurie Lentz-Marino, "Is Encephalopathy a Mechanism to Renew Sulfate in Autism?" Entropy 2013, 15, 372-406; doi:10.3390/e15010372 (Download)
- Stephanie Seneff, Ann Lauritzen, Robert Davidson and Laurie Lentz-Marino, "Is Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase a Moonlighting Protein Whose Day Job is Cholesterol Sulfate Synthesis? Implications for Cholesterol Transport, Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease." Entropy 2012, 14, 2492-2530; doi:10.3390/e14122492 (Download)
- Stephanie Seneff, Robert M. Davidson and Jingjing Liu, "Is Cholesterol Sulfate Deficiency a Common Factor in Preeclampsia, Autism, and Pernicious Anemia?" Entropy 2012, 14, 2265-2290; doi:10.3390/e14112265 (Download)
- Samantha Hartzell and Stephanie Seneff, "Impaired Sulfate Metabolism and Epigenetics: Is There a Link in Autism?" Entropy 2012, 14, 1953-1977; doi:10.3390/e14101953 (Download)
- Stephanie Seneff, Robert M. Davidson, and Jingjing Liu, "Empirical Data Confirm Autism Symptoms Related to Aluminum and Acetaminophen Exposure,"Entropy 2012, 14, 2227-2253; doi:10.3390/e14112227 (Download)
- Robert M. Davidson, and Stephanie Seneff, "The Initial Common Pathway of Inflammation, Disease, and Sudden Death," Entropy 2012, 14, 1399-1442; doi:10.3390/e14081399 (Download)
- Stephanie Seneff, Glyn Wainwright, and Luca Mascitelli, "Nutrition and Alzheimer's Disease: The Detrimental Role of a High Carbohydrate Diet," European Journal of Internal Medicine 22 (2011) 134-140; doi:10.1016/j.ejim.2010.12.017 (Download)
- Stephanie Seneff, Glyn Wainwright, and Luca Mascitelli, "Is the Metabolic Syndrome Caused by a High Fructose, and Relatively Low Fat, Low Cholesterol Diet?" Archives of Medical Science, 2011; 7, 1: 8-20; doi:10.5114/aoms.2011.20598 (Download)
- Stephanie Seneff, Robert Davidson, and Luca Mascitelli, "Might cholesterol sulfate deficiency contribute to the development of autistic spectrum disorder?" Medical Hypotheses, 8, 213-217, 2012. (Download)