Alkaline Water Ionizer: The Best Way to Make Alkaline Water
The features of an alkaline water ionizer
There is SO much more to a water ionizer than just alkaline water! I only wish I knew that back in 2004 when I first learned about the alkaline diet! For so long I relied on pH drops alone and was only getting a fraction of the benefit…
There are 4 main features and benefits of using an alkaline water ionizer and here they are in order of importance:
- Antioxidant Rich Water: yes, even more important (in my opinion) than pH is the fact that ionized water is hugely rich in antioxidants! This is not to say the pH is not that important (which it is – pH is a 10 out of 10 in importance) but the antioxidant benefit is simply amazing. As mentioned above, when tap water passes through the water ionizer it gets a tiny electrical charge and becomes electrolyzed.
The outcome of this is that the alkaline water that the ionizer produces is an antioxidant and the acid water is an oxidant.
Antioxidants in liquids are often measured in ORP (oxidation reduction potential, also sometimes referred to as REDOX) and the water from an ionizer can come out at anywhere between -50 and -350 and above.
It is important to note here that the higher negative the better (up to around -350 where the benefit doesn’t really increase).
To give some perspective, here are some average ORP scores:
– tap water +300
– bottled water +350
– soda +400
– reverse osmosis water +200
– distilled water +200
And on the beneficial side:
– alkaline ionized water (from a Chanson Ionizer) -350
– cranberry juice -120
– orange juice -50
– green tea -180
You can see from these average readings (video on this to follow!) that ionized water (in my readings I’m using a Chanson Miracle MAX) is actually more of an antioxidant than green tea and all of these other drinks that are championed for their antioxidant content!
This is amazing! To think you could be getting a huge surge of antioxidants with every single glass of water you drink – imaging how amazing you’ll be feeling and in no time at all!
- Perfect pH 9.5: of course, you probably know how important alkalinity in the diet is and that’s why you’re here, and when it comes to water, you want your water to be alkaline with a pH of 9.5. At pH 9.5 you are drinking water that is over 300x more alkaline than tap water and when compared to pH 8 water from pH drops which is just 10x more alkaline than tap water you can see the difference!
An alkaline water ionizer allows you to set the pH at the level YOU want so you know you are always getting the perfect pH 9.5, antioxidant rich water.
Why is this important? Check out this low-down on alkalinity from Robert Young of the pH Miracle
- pH from pH 3 to pH 12: with an alkaline water ionizer you get pH 9.5 water – of course – and this is just amazing for your health and wellness. However, because the water ionizer works by separating the H+ and OH- ions in the water (see above) you can select EXACTLY the pH you want to receive – from as low as pH 3 to as high as pH 12.This is something that no other alkaline water machine or source of alkaline water can give you – and it is a MAJOR plus for the ionizer.
There are SO many uses for the low and high pH water but here are just a few of my favourite:
- a completely antibacterial (chemical free) cleaner for your household (ph 3-4)
- a makeup remover (pH 4-5)
- a cleanser and exfoliator
- an antiseptic and antibacterial mouthwash (pH 3-4)
- incredible for acne, eczema, psoriasis (pH 3-4)
- Chemical free hand sanitizer (pH 3-4)
- Deodoriser for pet smells! (pH 4-5)
- For infusing fruits and vegetables with extra antioxidants (pH 11+)
- Cleaning and removing all chemicals and pesticides from shop bought fruits and vegetables
- And many more!
You would not ever drink the super strong acid or alkaline water (only drink it up to pH 9.5) but these other pH waters have SO many uses.
To get you started and for more understanding, here is Ronnie Ruiz describing more of the acid water uses and how they work:
- Super Filtered: Most brands of ionizer filter your water to clean out impurities. This is important when you're drinking water from any municipality, simply because it helps you feel better about what comes a long way through old potentially dirty pipes.
How an Alkaline Water Ionizer Is Installed
There are two types of water ionizer – the under sink ionizer and the countertop ionizer. I’ll explain how both are installed now…
Counter Top Alkaline Water Ionizer
The installation of the counter top water ionizer is incredibly simple and quick. As you can see from the short video below, it really takes less than 5 minutes and is simply a case of:
- Unpacking the box
- Putting the ionizer on your kitchen bench
- Screwing the tap diverter onto your tap (you need to unscrew the small tap end/mesh if you have one)
- Plugging the rubber tube onto the diverter and into the ‘in’ hole on the back of the ionizer
- Plugging the other rubber tube from the ‘out’ hole on the back of the ionizer and putting it down the sink
- Plugging the ionizer into an electrical point
- Switch it on and turn on your tap!
Now – this is very basic and very simplified but I can do it! And if I can do it (I’m no plumber as you can probably tell from me calling them ‘in’ and ‘out’holes) then anyone can do it.
Of course, if you are REALLY not up for this, a plumber can get it done on a half hour job. Make sure he doesn’t round up to the hour though.
If you can't afford to buy one of these here is a way to do it at home!