1905 Woods Electric Car - An Era Gone And Back Again
The company purchased the patents of Clinton E. Woods in hopes of challenging the electric-vehicle dominance of the East Coast-based Electric Vehicle Company. Woods had been designing electric vehicles since 1897 and was hired as superintended of the new company bearing his name, but was quickly 'eased' out of the company and returned to designing and manufacturing his owned designs by 1901. His operations soon went into receivership. His next venture was as an .
This is a Style 214A Queen Victoria Brougham Electric that has a wheelbase size of 73-inches. It is believed to be the only surviving example. It is equipped with a removable cap for open-air touring and has seating for two passengers.
The Woods Motor Vehicle Company produced high quality and expensive vehicles, with many prices in the $3,000 range - a considerable sum for the era. They offered an extensive line of electric vehicles with wheelbase sizes ranging from 69-inches to 86-inches. The company would remain in production through 1918, when the company faded from existence as gasoline-powered automobiles began to dominate the marketplace.