Introducing the PEBL: A Vehicle for a Sustainable Future Made of Hemp
The bike car is made by hand and currently takes three months to build. The Murrays hope to open a workshop space over the summer so they can start building more vehicles and quicken production time. Buyers can pick out their favorite colors and, once the workshop is open, will soon be able to get their vehicles in about a week.
The PEBL bicycle car demonstrates how a hybrid vehicle can be an eco-friendly and a healthy mode of transportation. The vehicles are made by Better Bike, a Leverett-based company run by Kevin Murray and his son, Nevin.
PEBL can be supplied with many options; including a heater, battery warmer for cold climates, additional USB and 12 volt power ports and a 110W rooftop solar panel.
Another interesting aspect of this vehicle is the body – it’s made with industrial hemp cloth and a soy-based resin.
“When we began to design the PEBL, one of our goals was to not only make a vehicle that was low emissions and healthy to use, but to also be sure that the body was made out of materials that are easy on the planet, low or no VOC (volatile organic compounds), non-toxic and from resourced and/or recycled materials whenever possible,” say its creators.
The PEBL is a new and exciting type of zero emissions vehicle that combines the comfort and utility of a small car with the benefits of a bike. Designed for four season use, the PEBL is a three wheeled, fully enclosed bike that utilizes a combination of pedal and electric drive with a body made from plants. You can pedal as much or as little as you want all year round. It is the world’s most comfortable and functional velomobile, bridging the gap between a car and a bike.
- 6061 corrosion resistant aluminum frame with rear suspension
- Hemp & soy composite body
- Vinyl doors with zip up windows
- Full flooring with removable heel well inserts
- Impact resistant polycarbonate windows
- Programable 48v 750W power system
- 16ah Lithium Ion battery
- Fully adjustable cockpit (pedals, seat, handlebars)
- 20mph top speed
- 25 mile range (without pedaling)
- 5 Amp integrated charger (plugs into any standard wall outlet)
- Full street lighting (headlights, brake lights, turn signals, running lights)
- Cruise control
- Regenerative braking
- USB charging port
- Keyed power switch
- Sturmey Archer 8 speed rear hub
- Sturmey Archer 90mm drum break front hubs
- Avid BB7 rear 200mm disk brake
- Oversized 2.3" Kenda K-Rad tires on Alex DM 24 alloy rims and heavy duty spokes
- 6 cubic feet of rear storage
- Transformable passenger seat for 4 cubic feet more rear storage
- 6 Standard Colors: red, orange, yellow, blue, green, white
- Length: 99"
- Height: 54"
- Width: 44"
- Track width: 42"
- Weight: 195 lbs
- 600 watt heater
- Battery warmer wtih dashboard mounted temp sensor
- Additional USB/12 volt power ports
- 110W roof top solar panel
- Up to 3 more additional 16ah batteries for 100+ mile range per charge
- Interior lighting
- Wider tire and wheel options
- Custom coloring