101 Reasons To Live Off Grid
Categories: Tips & Tricks, Education
Republished with permission: Off Grid Living Magazine - October 2014 by Eric Wichman
1. Self sufficiency Living off grid is all about living a self sufficient lifestyle, one not dependent on outside resources because you create your own resources thereby reducing or totally eliminating your dependence on a system that could collapse at any moment.
2. Sustainable living It’s about living more sustainably. Without constantly consuming resources, you will actually be producing more than you consume. This has the added benefit of not only providing for your family, but contributing to your local community.
3. Renewable energy The use of renewable energy only makes sense. Using an energy source that is not renewable is absurd. Fossil fuels are not renewable, at least at the rate we are consuming them. So it makes sense to use sources of energy that are completely renewable, and that can be shared. Renewable energy is also more sustainable long term, and that’s just smart living.
4. Environmentally responsible When one realizes their own responsibility is just as valuable as the next person’s and that no one person’s responsibility is less than another’s to make this world a better place, then we come to a crossroads where we must, as responsible human beings, and for the future of our children and their children, be more environmentally responsible, or there may not be an environment left for them.
5. Practical living Living off the grid is more practical because we reuse, recycle, and stretch the use of our resources to their maximum purpose.
6. Smaller footprint Living off grid means you don’t use as many resources as most people, and it cuts down on waste.
7. Less impact on the planet When you’re off grid, you live your life more in tune with nature, and as such, have less of a negative impact on the planet.
8. Healthier lifestyle It’s just plain healthier because you’re more active. The benefits of physical activity and exercise on your life, overall, are innumerable.
9. Rewarding Living off the grid is more rewarding for all the reasons listed on this page. When you factor in all the benefits of the off grid lifestyle, you realize there’s really no other way to live that’s more rewarding.
10. Happiness It makes you happy. Less stress and more activity creates a feeling of contentment, and this creates happiness.
11. Getting back to our roots Living off the grid is getting back to our roots, and where we come from. Our ancestors lived this way for tens of thousands of years. The story is the same all over the world. Looking back throughout human history there’s one commonality that is universal. Save the fact we’re all human beings, we all lived off the land as hunter-gatherers. We built things and made stuff, created shelter, grew food, and tapped natural water sources to provide for our families and the village. Our tribe is humanity, and we’ve all done things the same way. Now, in modern times, with the advent of modern technology, things are done much more easily, and we’re in a time of unprecedented advancement. Living off grid with high technology. Solar panels, wind turbines, hydro electricity, geothermal, and renewable biofuels power our world, while at the same time, we can connect back to our roots and enjoy nature.